top of page

1958-1963 Alvis TD 21

One of the most beautiful English cars in the fifties was the Alvis TD21, a four-seater sedan with a sleek, two-door body.


Initially presented as the Type 108/G, the car's underpinnings were primarily based on the much more conservatively styled TC21 Grey Lady, with a separate chassis and relatively modern 3 liters in-line six engines, with seven main bearings, which had been introduced in 1950.


The new car was designed by the Swiss company of Hermann Graber, which had already gained a sizeable reputation with numerous designs in mainland Europe. A vehicle prototype was unveiled in 1955, and it was planned that Alvis would build the bodies under license from Graber, although several cars were directly supplied by Graber as well.


In 1958 a new body version was presented, which had been further developed in cooperation with Park Ward, who would also take over the construction. From then on, the car became known as the TD21. It also became available with an open top.


On the technical side, it is noticeable that the car was the first to have Lockheed Disc Brakes as an optional feature, costing 15 pounds, including purchase tax. Furthermore, there was a choice between a four-speed manual and a three-speed Borg Warner Autobox.


Over the years, the car did not change much, but in 1961 a Series II version was presented, with 4 Dunlop Disc brakes as standard and some changes to the foglights and the rear light units. Also, some modifications to the glasshouse and interior parts were made. Engine power had gradually increased over time from 105 initially via 115 to about 130 for the SII.


Graber produced several amazing bodies on the chassis, and in 1963, the last version appeared, recognizable by double vertical headlights and a further increased engine power from 130 to 150 BHP. This version was dubbed TE21, and a final engine tweak with three carbs resulted in the TF21, which could reach a top speed of over 190 kph.


Alvis folded as a car company in 1967. The TD21 was phased out in 1964, and 1070 units were made, plus 16 of the initial 108/G model. The TE version saw a total production of 352, while the TF with 106 became the rarest version.


Images: www.classiccars.co.uk