Built in 1957, it is one of the last Spohns ever built. Spohn was a coachbuilder from Ravensburg, Germany, who was credited for building bodies for the pre-WWII Maybach luxury cars.
After WWII, Spohn purchased left-over cars from the U.S. military for their chassis and continued as a coachbuilder taking orders on a one-on-one basis. Each car was built to the specific desires and specifications of the buyer. There were less than 200 cars built and no two were alike.
This example is built on a 1939 Ford chassis with a 1953 Cadillac 331 cubic-inch V8 engine, with a 4-barrel carburetor, and is backed by a 3-speed Ford transmission.
Carosseriebau Hermann Spohn was founded in 1920 in Ravensburg, Germany. A short distance away, Dr. Karl Maybach began manufacturing drivetrains and chassis. It was not long before Spohn became Maybach's favored coachbuilder. Other companies that received Spohn coachwork included luxury brands such as Hispano-Suiza, Cadillac, and Veritas sports cars. Spohn remained in business until 1957. Source: Daniel Vaughan | Apr 2013 (via ConceptCarz.com)