The last of the six-cylinder Bristols, the 406, was made between 1958 and 1961, though the basic steel-framed alloy-paneled superstructure was carried over to its V8-engined 407 successor. Bristol's BMW-based engine was extensively revised and enlarged to 2.2 liters for the 406. As a result, the power went up to 130bhp, and flexibility increased, while other improvements included servo-assisted Dunlop disc brakes on all four wheels and self-canceling overdrive as standard.
Bristol had commissioned Carrozzeria Zagato to build a limited series of lightweight four-seater cars on the 406 chassis in October 1959, six of which, plus a solitary two-seater, had been completed by the time production ceased. Weighing 2,436lbs, the Zagato was a whopping 574lbs lighter than the stock 406 and 11" shorter and 5" lower, with commensurate gains in both acceleration and top speed.
One of five four-seater Bristol 406 Zagatos known to survive, chassis number '5299', registered 'NPK 120', was displayed at the 1960 Earls Court Motor Show and sold new by Anthony Crook Motors to Richard Robinson in May 1961.
Source & Images: www.bonhams.com